Birth certificate extract
This eService allows Rwandans to apply for a birth certificate. The application will be submitted to Local Government authorities for processing. This document has a life time validity and can serve as one of the supporting documents for the application of services such as school admission, child adoption, certificate of full identity, legal marriage registration, to mention a few.
Who can apply?
Citizens of Rwanda
1. Some sector offices require a document from the Cell office (“Akagari”)
2. Letter of guardianship (in case application is submitted by guardian)
3. Immunization card or Hospital certificate (if application is submitted by parent)
4. Cell report letter (if birth occurred at home)
Step 1: Apply
i. Online: If you are not registered with Irembo, click the "Sign Up" button above and register using your National ID and the Phone number registered to your ID, OR
ii. Apply via USSD: Dial *909# and follow instructions, OR
iii. Agents: You may also approach an Irembo agent at these locations
Follow steps 2 - 5
2. Payment: Once you complete application, you can directly pay online using a VISA or MasterCard card, OR select another option (Mobile Money on MTN (*182#), Airtel (*182#) or Tigo (*310#) or visit a BK branch or agent close to you).
3. You will receive an SMS and/or email to confirm the application, followed by a payment confirmation
Note: In case birth has not been registered within 30 days following the birth, you may approach the civil registrar of the place of child’s birth or of the place of residence or domicile of parents to register the child’s birth
4. When should you go to pick the certificate: Once the Civil Registration Officer receives your application, he/she will review and approve your application and you will receive an SMS notifying you that your application has been approved and is ready for pick up. If you don’t receive an SMS within three working days after submission, please contact or visit the sector office.
5. Picking the Certificate: Appear before the Civil Registration Officer at the Sector office selected, with proof of payment details ready (SMS notification from Irembo or Bank Slip) and supporting documents required for this service (where applicable)